Friday, May 18, 2012

Lloyds 82 Class

This has been bugging me for quite some time so on went the thinking cap. The problem was my Lloyd's 82 Class was "bottoming out" on the fuel tank. This was probably due to the weight of the motor which made the chassis sag in the middle. I have two of these kits and both have the same dilemma. So after some thought I found a piece of scrap aluminium angle and modified it to fit on top of the chassis with the motor mounted on top of it.

I experimented with a flat piece of aluminium but it didn't have the same strength as the angle. With the body mountings fouling the angle, pieces were removed from each corner and filed to suit. Holes were then drilled using the existing chassis as a pilot then secured with the original 10 BA screws.

The motor, mounting, couplings and final drives were re-assembled and all re-wired.

A small piece of cardboard (yellow) was added to stop earthing. It was then tested.

A completed 8220 in the background with a straight chassis while an unfinished 82 in the foreground still being assembled. I have also added pieces of thin lead inside the body for extra weight as it is to light.

As for Wallarah Creek, well it's on an extended holiday but hopefully things will start rolling again in the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment